A technique has been found that permits Base Clock overclocking on non-Ok twelfth Gen Intel processors. Due to this methodology, which was found by the German Der8auer, it’s potential to take a processor such because the reasonably priced 12400F and simply enhance it to 12900K efficiency.
We may do NON-Ok OC up to now, however after we enhance the Base Clock worth, PCI Categorical velocity additionally will increase. In Alder Lake, alternatively, every part will be adjusted individually. On this method, you’ll be able to maintain all different frequencies inventory whereas Base Clock OC. Equally, you’ll be able to decrease the reminiscence frequency and cache frequency. Intel already says Alder Lake is one of the best overclocked processor.
- To start with, we set XMP II in BIOS as a result of we’ll do the overclocking. We do not need this as ASUS optimizes the settings in XMP I.
- subsequent step Base Clock we’re rising the setting. 130 was the perfect worth in our processor. Even when we gave extra voltage, we could not go above that.
- the entire above Goal Pace values depend upon BCLK . That is why we have to manually set the reminiscence frequency to a worth near 5200 MHz, since after we enhance the Base Clock worth multiplier, the reminiscence frequency may even enhance and our recollections won’t work at DDR5 6800 MHz.
- Efficiency Core Ratio setting Sync All Cores . Thus, the OC course of is utilized to every core on the identical fee.
- Now it is time for the precise OC operation: We strive till the ALL-Core Ratio Restrict setting reaches the best worth it helps. For instance 40. Then we have a look at the BLCK worth. The product of those two values provides us the ultimate processor frequency.
- The identical goes for the processor cache. In case you go away this worth as 38 or 40 by default, there could also be an instability drawback. So you’ll be able to decrease this setting to 33 as effectively. Some processors can go as much as 4300 MHz, whereas others can go as much as 4400, 4500 MHz. All of it depends upon your luck with the processor. We set this worth to 33 to make sure our work.
- And a very powerful setting: Below Tweaker’s Paradise we set Unlock BCLK OC enabled . This setting seems when a non-Ok processor is put in within the system. If you don’t flip this setting on, your system won’t boot and you can be caught on the Debug LED with the QCODE 33 error.
- Lastly, you’ll want to modify the CPU Core Voltage, as a result of we’re forcing the processor to work at a better frequency than regular, and this course of requires vitality. Set
- CPU Core/Cache Voltage to Handbook and check out a voltage between 1.3 and 1.4. For Der8auer, 1.37 was the perfect worth, and extra was not useful in getting increased frequencies.
- We set the CPU Enter Voltage to 1.9, which is due to the XMP setting.
- Lastly CPU Load Line Calibration you’ll be able to set it to Stage 6. Our purpose right here is to supply steady voltage to the processor, even below load. Save settings with
- F10 .
On account of quite a lot of trials, we managed to run the processor in our palms steady at 1.37V and 5.2 GHz frequency. Furthermore, this steady operation isn’t just about opening Home windows. We put the system to a torture take a look at with Prime95. The system works stably for a very long time with 1.35 and 1.36V, however solely managed to finish a half hour stress take a look at with 1.37V with none issues. Now right here you may ask why we do not provide extra voltage to the processor. That is due to temperature. The extra voltage we give the processor, the warmer the processor will get. Furthermore, this voltage doesn’t permit the processor to achieve increased frequencies. So your purpose right here ought to be to search out the perfect frequency/voltage stability. It’s helpful to not go above 1.4V.
In the course of the take a look at, you’ll be able to see that the CPU went as much as 100 levels. Since Prime95 is a torture take a look at for the processor, the processor doesn’t attain these values in video games, in fact. You can even see that the CPU went right down to 35 levels as quickly as you completed the take a look at.
Once more, since we ran HWInfo on the finish of the take a look at, we verified with CPU-Z that the processor reached 5.2 GHz in all cores, regardless that the height worth of the processor appears to be 5070 MHz. You can even see that the processor reaches 140W TDP throughout this take a look at, however in every day use, such a state of affairs won’t often occur.
The outcomes are really unimaginable! We left 12900K behind in single core efficiency. In multi-core, we’re near the first Gen Threadripper 1950X processor. Since we do not have the 5800X, we will not evaluate, however the 12400 manages to beat the octa-core Ryzen 5800X because it stands.
|Take a look at||12900K||12400||12400 5.2GHz||distinction|
|Cinebench R23 Single Core||1967||1683||2008||19.3%|
|Cinebench R23 Multi Core||27402||12162||15643||28.6%|
|Headlight Cry 6 1080p Extremely||min. 86
Temperature Max. 45
Temperature Max. 63
|Far Cry 6 1080p Low||min. 122
|CPU-Z Single Core||659.9||816.8||23.7%|
|3DMark CPU Profile Single Core||932||1122||20.3%|
|3DMark CPU Profile Multi-Core||5983||7882||31.7%|
If you wish to escape even cheaper, it’s also possible to get 12400F. This may be accomplished with 12600, but it surely can’t attain as excessive as 12400.
- A efficiency enhance of just about 30%!
- It even exceeds 12900K in single core efficiency.
- Higher efficiency will also be achieved with increased frequency DDR5 reminiscence.
The inventory 12400F consumes 47.8W whereas the overclocked model consumes 76.6W. On this case, Intel’s cooler out of the field must also be adequate. In different phrases, there is no such thing as a want for a cooler expense.
The system could get caught in Q CODE 33 error at some startups. Turning it on and off once more fixes the issue. We predict that ASUS can utterly get rid of this drawback with new BIOS variations.
A whole checklist of ASUS motherboards that help you overclock twelfth Gen non-Ok processors.
|serial||Mannequin Compat Record||BIOS Model|
|ROG||MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME GLACIER||0604 or later|
|MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME||0604 or increased|
|MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA||0604 or increased|
|MAXIMUS Z690 APEX||0604 or later|
|MAXIMUS Z690 HERO||0604 or later|
|ROG STRIX||STRIX B660-F GAMING WIFI||0406 or later|
|STRIX B660-G GAMING WIFI||0406 or later|
ASUS ROG Strix B660-G Gaming WiFi and ROG Strix B660-F Gaming WiFi mannequin additionally include Base Clock OC help. Each motherboards help DDR5, which is definitely a value situation as the worth of DDR5 reminiscence is extremely costly proper now.
How you can OC Base Clock with B660?
How you can modify Overclock Voltage settings?
You will note that the frequencies are variable when the home windows are opened. It is because we don’t play with the CPU C-State settings. Then again, whenever you do a take a look at that places the processor below load, you’ll be able to see that the frequency has elevated to 4.6 GHz.
In case you enhance the processor to five GHz with Strix B660-F, you’ll be able to attain 115W TDP. After all, that is potential with heavy workloads like Cinebench. You can not see these values in video games. Usually will probably be round 60~70W. In case you can enhance the processor to five GHz, you’ll be able to attain 5800X efficiency.